Tuesday, August 7, 2007

the middle name

I've been trying to think of how to spell Macahan phonetically so people would know how to pronounce it; but i haven't come up with anything. Sorry! We finally decided on his middle name two days before he was born. Maybe he was just waiting on us to get his name together!

When Zeb was born he was partly named after the main cowboy on a 1979 tv series called "How the West Was Won". The cowboy was a good, strong man who valued family and morals. His full name was Zeb Macahan. I have to admit I'm kind of proud of it because it was my idea. Zeb picked Harper which i liked it and agreed to; so i was excited that we decided on a middle name that I suggested. It's funny though because it's a name we really like and Zeb joked that we "wasted" it on a middle name. I said if we have another boy we could just name him that too! But we're not thinking about number two yet!

The past couple of weeks have been really fun and a blur. Thankfully, Harper is not an inconsolable baby- but that doesn't mean we get tons of sleep! Every night is different. Some nights he'll sleep for 3 or 4 hour stretch. Some times he's up every 2 hours. We did co-sleep with him a couple of nights which gave us a little bit more rest. Now we have him in a bassinet in our room. Which still gives us not only more rest but better rest. I felt myself actually relax the first night we used the bassinet. Unfortunately, the past couple of nights he's been fussier than normal. After much thought, we decided to let him try a pacifier last night. For some reason, we both have a negative feelings about using a pacifier. To my surprise (and relief), Harper didn't take to it as quickly as I expected. I think tonight we're going to try some good ole gas relief medicine- we like that better than the pacifier.

I'm so amazed at seeing his progress physically. We can already see his growth. He's been wearing preemie clothes, but I can tell he's starting to outgrow a couple of outfits. I'm not sure about his weight; i know he's past his birthweight. I do know that he has grown an inch in length. As for me, I've already lost 25 pounds. That is good news! Well for me anyway.

On Sunday afternoon, he was wide awake so I laid him down for some tummy time to help build his neck muscles. And he rolled over! Zeb didn't believe me. So last night he was awake again and we laid him down on his stomach. He rolled onto his back again! And Zeb saw this time. And he did it two seconds before I turned on the video camera! I don't know if those count as official roll overs- but it's something! I call him the iron baby. He pushes himself off of Zeb's hands on the floor, he can hold his head up, and we've found him turned perpendicular in the bassinet when we wake up. He also already does a good job of focusing on people when they talk to him. That is thanks to daddy.

I have the cutest picture to post and the upload thing isn't working!
I'll try again later.

so who does everyone think Harper looks like? I should post baby pics of me and zeb for a comparison.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.