Thursday, July 26, 2007

our newest installment

Harper Macahan Marcotte was born Thursday July 19 at 2:33 in the morning. Everything went great. I went into labor Wednesday night around 6. Zeb and I decided to wait until contractions were 3 minutes apart for 30 minutes before we called Bonnie, the midwife. At 10:30, we called her and she told us to head to the hospital. After laboring for those 4 hours we thought for sure I would be dilated to 3 or 4 centimeters. The nurse checked me and I was already at 7! We couldn't believe it! So they wheeled me into a room. Bonnie had to break my water and then things picked up even more. After an hour and a half of pushing, Harper was born. He weighed 6lbs and 8oz and was 19.5 inches long.
I must say it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life! But thinking back, I wouldn't change any of it. Harper's birth was everything Zeb and I hoped it would be. I'm still in shock because just the day before the doctor was telling us to get induced. And I honestly thought we would end up scheduling an induction for this week. In between contractions, I kept expressing how amazed I was to Bonnie.
Now he's a week old. We're still trying to get the hang of things and get a schedule going. Feedings are going great. We met with a lactationist on Wednesday. He weighed in at 6lbs 10oz. Which is great! The day we left the hospital he weighed 6lbs 4oz (baby's lose weight at first). The fact that he's gained back more than his birthweight is a great sign!
Unfortunately we go back to the doctore tomorrow for the circumcision. Zeb and I are nervous. But we know it's for the best and he'll be fine.
I'm so glad I am finally able to post on here. I'm sure most of you have seen pics. For those who haven't here's a link of the ones my dad has taken: http://share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcOXDdo1Yt2jO

hopefully I'll be able to post sooner next time!

No comments: